Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Seeking Counsel

Last night during teaching, Bro. Willy mentioned something about "seeking counsel" before planning or doing anything.

Ouch!

Why?

Coz I'm the kind of person who'd rather do things on my own rather than asking people first. Whenever I make plans for whatever, I conjure the thoughts first inside my head ans one by one try to execute them. If I make a mistake, I learn from it and do it again. If I am successful, that's when I tell the whole world about it.

My philosophy about this is that it's better to fail on your own than to be embarrassed to a multitude. If I can spare the whole world from a whole lot of worry and trouble, then well and good. That's why I operate alone most of the time. I don't report regularly. I plan what to do when I get there. I always feel that the saying "cross the bridge when you get there" is so apt for me (but of course I keep it to myself).

I've had a lot of bad experiences wherein I tell poeple my plans and these plans get thwarted. I tell people that things are going so well in a project, and the next day something really bad will happen. Call me superstitious, but the moment I noticed that pattern that's when I started operating solo. Ayaw kong mapangunahan ang mga bagay-bagay.

Another reason why I don't tell people my plans are the varying opinions that come my way, the solicited and unsolicited pieces of advice that clash, contrast and cancel each other out leaving me only with a vaguer and blurrier idea. It just makes me dizzy trying to process all those information, plus the pressure (or notion of) of trying to please everyone with my decision.

Right now I have two major decisions I have to make. Used to be three, but I already did that and that decision affects the two remaining ones big time. That decision was joining a KG and officially joining community. The two others were investing in this business and applying for law school.

If before I do things without counsel at all, this time I did ask Somebody's Word before jumping into the river, so to speak. And I was brought to Psalm 27. When we were discerning about the KG thing we were given similar verses. But this time it's my own decision, own situation. I am really worried about these endeavors. I have been hearing horror stories from people who are either in a similar business, or in law school. Most of the people I've talked to have discouraged me from delving into such activities. But the Lord has been encouraging. He reminded me to just trust in Him, and He will take care of the rest.

Not bad for a counsellor, eh?

Well, we also know that God has appointed people in our lives to be give us guidance and counselling. These are our parents, teachers, reliable aunts and uncles, grandparents, bosses, priests, spiritual directors, trusted Christian adults. In my case, my facilitator also. That's what I need to learn to do, by God's grace.

---------

I now ask for your prayers for these two endeavors I'm gonna go into. I will need a lot of prayers and support to make all these work out. In Jesus' name.

No comments: